Friday 30 September 2011

Ground Breaking

I prefer to sit on the floor.

Most people look at me funny when I tell them this quirk about myself, but the truth of the matter is I do some of my best thinking at ground level. I can recall dozens of incidents where my brown carpet has helped me through some rough patches in my life.

My habit may seem strange, but it makes me feel like the world is at my finger tips. Maybe it’s because my spinal column is aligned or maybe I just like that it’s cooler down there. All I know is that I’ve done some of my best work sitting on the earth cross legged.

The very first time I picked up a pen with the intention to write for solely my selfish pleasure was on the flagstones of verandah of my one story house. I picked up a pen that transformed into a vessel for my liquid essence. There was nothing I couldn’t express with an artful turn of phrase. My words were my reflection and a portal binding me to the world.

Those first few moments of revelation turned my life around. I now proudly call myself an author, a poetess, a lyricist and a sketch artist. I have spent years dedicating my time and patience to the pen and its multifaceted existence. It paid off through my grades, through recognition – however limited - and it was all because I could not find a chair to sit on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment