Tuesday 27 December 2011

Untied Shoelaces and Leggy Blondes

It's really obvious that I've been getting into Sufism lately. Okay it isn't that obvious but I have been researching. Songs, poetry, ideologies etc.

While I was meandering through the hallowed halls of Sufism (an adjunct to Islamic faith) I stumbled into the concept of Zikr. Now this word translated - according to my meager knowledge of linguistics - mean 'to mention'. It is also a common theme running through Sufism and Islam. In regards to Muslims, Zikr is basically repeating God's name/s. Sufis however take it a step further. When they take part in this practice, they picture the word 'Allah' etched onto the flesh of their hearts in Arabic.



It's actually a funny story that this fact came up when I was just puttering about the internet (Hem Hem Wikipedia), because I once had a dream in which the word Allah was written on my chest in noorani lettering. Pretty bad ass and life altering if I do say so myself.

Disclaimer: This post is just a teensy part of Sufism and completely based on my understanding of what I've encountered so far. So yeah.

Peace out.

No comments:

Post a Comment